Thread: Character footnote: Who knows who?

Threaded View

Drin Kizael

Character footnote: Who knows who?

BIG EDIT to this post in case you read it last night when I first put up the thread...

When I first started posting, I was under the impression (not sure why, in retrospect, but I did) that there wold not be many older pre-Imperial Jedi. So I started to establish that I recognized everyone with a back story that predated the Clone Wars.

Realizing now that there are so many more of us, I wondered if it was realistic for Drin to really know EVERYONE. There were supposedly 100,000 Jedi across the galaxy at one point. The odds are pretty scary that we'd all know each other.

But then insomnia kicked in because I drank way too much coffee at my writer's group meeting tonight. Heh. I remembered the Shadows of the Republic threads, namely The Younglings and Beginning of the End.

Looking at those threads, it seemed you all had met, since everyone's story understandably revolved around the temple. It IS the only point of reference we really had when we made our characters after all, so it was natural.

The better question became, does anyone from before the Purge NOT know each other, even if we only met in passing?

Perhaps we should make an official declaration of a break from canon, just so it makes more sense, that there were actually far fewer Jedi than the movies claimed (like 10K instead of 100K) and that we all filtered through that temple. And just like life in a small town, "everyone knew everyone".

And by that I mean there is a chance we could have met, or knew of each other. People of wide ranging ages never necessarily met. I probably wouldn't remember ever meeting Barton among the sea of Padawans, for example. And likewise, Barton wouldn't necessarily remember many people beyond his own class and his master's immediate circle. But the potential for recognition is there.

So then, I think that unless you actually write it into your origin, the safest assumption is that our characters are likely to have known each other, or at least of each other.

Granted this is probably only an issue for me, since I'm the only one meeting characters for the first time, but it may matter to a new player who may come along, should they want to make an older Jedi, too.

Sidebar... Are there any active players who have Shadows characters that did NOT survive Order 66? I saw a couple mentioned in the wiki, but I don't know which if any are still around OOC.
    Last edited by Drin Kizael; Jul 8th, 2010 at 03:05:45 AM.