As her father choked up, Jesse reachedover and took her father's hand. Her mother, as she knew, was deadfrom a horrible medical accident. No one's fault. She tried to getdetails when she was younger. But every time she brought it up, herfather cried. She had stopped asking years ago.

“You have taken excellent care of me,Dad. No single dad could have done better. Especially with aheadstrong young girl.” She laughed at the title her father hadused on her more than once. “And all the money in the world can'tkeep me from growing up. Though I admit I 'do' like the parties.”She laughed again knowing he was aware of her love of dressing up andshowing off.

When he mentioned the small box, shesat back with a slightly confused look on her face. She had hermother's jewelry and thought she had it all. This was a bit of asurprise. Though when he mentioned it wasn't a high end jeweler whohad produced it, she smiled and shook her head. “I don't care ifit's made of macaroni, Dad. If it was Mom's I will love it.”

Jesse pulled the box towards herselfand slowly opened it. A gasp of surprise and impressiveness slippedfrom her lips as she lifted it up and looked past it to her dad.“It's beautiful, Dad!” She smiled and tears filled her eyes.

Suddenly she stood up so fast that herchair tipped over. Before it hit the ground, she had lunged at herdad to hug him fiercely enough that his own seat threatened totopple. “Thank you, Daddy. You are the best!” She was crying andlaughing and holding him like he was the greatest man on Earth. Andin her eyes, he was.