Thread: Depp to play Mad Hatter, Tonto + reprise Jack Sparrow for Pirates 4

General Depp to play Mad Hatter, Tonto + reprise Jack Sparrow for Pirates 4

From http://www.reuters.com/article/filmN...48N9HA20080925

Depp to play Tonto, Mad Hatter in upcoming films

By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Johnny Depp is becoming the new face of Walt Disney Studios. The actor will preside over the manic tea party in Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" as the Mad Hatter and will play Tonto in "The Lone Ranger," whose latest screen incarnation is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

Disney formally announced the casting Wednesday at a studio presentation. It also said it is officially in development on a fourth installment of "Pirates of the Carribean," which would see Depp reprise his popular role of Captain Jack.

On the "Alice" front, Depp and Burton -- who first worked together in 1990's "Edward Scissorhands" and most recently collaborated on "Sweeney Todd" -- have formed one of the longest-running director-actor partnerships in modern Hollywood. When Burton committed to filming a new live-action/CG-animated version of "Alice," Depp was touted as the most likely candidate to play the Mad Hatter -- after all, having worked with Burton on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," he's practiced in wearing a top hat.

Mia Wasikowska, the young Australian actress who appeared in HBO's "In Treatment," has the film's title role.

Matt Lucas, who stars in the sketch comedy series "Little Britain USA," which debuts on HBO Sunday, is set to play the dual roles of Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

"Ranger," meanwhile, puts Depp back in business with Bruckheimer, who produced the "Pirates" movies. Tonto is the Native American colleague of cowboy hero the Lone Ranger. The casting could stir up controversy with Native American groups, who might accuse the studio of putting a white actor in the role. One factor that could counter such an argument is Depp's mixed ancestry, which includes German, Irish, and Cherokee.

"Ranger" is being written by "Pirates" scribes Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio and has no director at this time.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
    1. Depp as Mad Hatter - thumbs up
    2. Depp as Tonto - ummm, not so sure. I don't know that much about the history of the Lone Ranger, but isn't the Tonto character supposed to be a Native American?
    3. Depp back as Captain Jack - eh, the first POTC was great, the 2nd and 3rd were for me mildly entertaining at absolute best. I have no great desire to see another Pirates film.

"A Jedi must remain focused. Mastery of the Force requires that all unnecessary activities be purged from daily life."

TheHolo.Net Poster

No, Mister Belargic. I expect you to... die.

Has been a member for 5 years or longer
    AKA
    Vince
    Within the darkness just beyond the horizon; behind the shroud that blinds your sight
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: vinceisgreat
    Perhaps the fact the fourth one is centred around Jack Sparrow (most likely in his quest for the Fountain of Youth) will make it better; in this it seems to follow the first movie in plot and tone, unlike the second and third movies which were laden with "pirate lore" and almost snapped my suspension of disbelief.

1. Mad Hatter--yes, pure genius, and an absolute must-see.
    2. Tonto--I honestly don't get it. And in this day and age, I have no doubts that Native American groups will gripe about it.
    3. Jack Sparrow--yes, the first one was the best, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the second and third ones. If it's Jack pursuing the Fountain of Youth, and also pursuing Captain Barbossa (yay! ) since he ran off with the Black Pearl again, that could be a good thing. No need to bring Will & Elizabeth back, because their stories are done...perhaps some fresh interesting new characters could help. I'm willing to take a look.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    When I read Mad Hatter, I immeadiately thought he was going to be playing the Mad Hatter in the next Batman movie

TheHolo.Net Admin
    OG Forum Overlord

AKA
    Holly
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lilaena Steam ID: jainhollie
    Eh, I'm not convinced he should play the Mad Hatter - I mean, I'm sure he'll be great but really I'd have a hard time separating this eccentric character in a top hat from his portrayal of Willy Wonka.

Tonto... what? And as far as pirates 4 that is awesome!

I like the idea of the Mad Hatter. I expect him to play a really demented one. Tonto doesn't make much sense and I bet Native Americans will scream. Probably should have put him as the Lone Ranger instead. I am all for Pirates 4 as long as Elizabeth and Will don't come back.

To add to the Tonto craziness...I read a rumor (note: RUMOR) that George Clooney is interested in playing The Lone Ranger.

Clooney and Depp together would be, like, totally weird. And probably totally awesome.

lol that be something.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    So... we're supposed to expect a weird, distant and creepy Tonto with emo undertones rather than someone who could actually survive in the open wild west?

Someone please shoot Hollywood.

Maybe they are going for a comedic lone ranger film.

TheHolo.Net Poster

Proof that not all people who draw anatomically correct anthropomorphic animals are furries. Or... is he?

AKA
    Mitch. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master Carr View Post
    Maybe they are going for a comedic lone ranger film.
    Oh yeah, because that comedic Dragnet movie worked so well...

I have very low hopes for this project.

TheHolo.Net Poster

AKA
    Droo
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: droogydroo
    I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy his portrayal of the Mad Hatter. I've no opinion on him as Tonto but I've seen enough of Captain Jack Sparrow now to last me a lifetime. The first one was brilliant but the rest were rubbish, and part of the reason behind this is because the studio took Depp's wonderful character creation and turned him into nothing more than tacky comic relief.

TheHolo.Net Admin

Baroness Scorpion #2
    Lesbian Overlord of SWFans

DragonCon 09
    AKA
    Jenny
    It feels like he channels some Jack Sparrow in every role he plays now, so I wouldn't be surprised if his Mad Hatter has more Sparrow in him than Wonka... which would be a good thing of course, since his Wonka wasn't that great.

...is this the American McGee's version of Alice (with Sarah Michelle Gellar)? Or is someone else doing that?

...is this the American McGee's version of Alice (with Sarah Michelle Gellar)? Or is someone else doing that?
    No, that's a separate project. Depp's 'Alice' is being done by Tim Burton.

American McGee's 'Alice' has been on indefinite hiatus since 2004 - I don't think Gellar is even associated with it anymore.

I've seen enough of Captain Jack Sparrow now to last me a lifetime. The first one was brilliant but the rest were rubbish, and part of the reason behind this is because the studio took Depp's wonderful character creation and turned him into nothing more than tacky comic relief.
    This is my problem as well. For me, it's not just a case of removing Will and Elizabeth from the story and all will be right - I've also become fairly sick of the Jack Sparrow character as well for the reasons Droog mentioned.